Abiel SHURTLEFF [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1 on 23 Jun 1666 in Marshfield, Massachusetts. He died 1 on 28 Oct 1732 in Plympton, Massachusetts. He was buried 2 in 1732 in Lakenham Graveyard, North Carver, Plymouth Co., Massachusetts. Abiel married Lydia BARNES on 14 Jan 1695 in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
The following is from the 1976 edition of "Descendants of William Shurtleff" (pp. 20-23) and was written about 1912, for the first edition of the book:
ABIEL SHURTLEFF (William), b. in Marshfield, Mass., June (23-30), 1666; d. in Plympton, Mass., Oct. 28,1732; m. in Plymouth, Mass., Jan. 14, 1695/6, Lydia Barnes, b. in Plymouth, July 4, 1674; d. in Plympton, Sept. 10, 1727; dau. of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Hedge), who were m. in Plymouth, Jan. 4, 1665/6. Elizabeth Hedge, b. in Yarmouth, Mass., May 21, 1647; d. in Plymouth, Dec. 15, 1731; dau. of Capt. William (d. 1670) and first wife. Jonathan Barnes, b. June 3, 1643; d. in Plymouth, Aug. 20, 1714; son of John and Mary (Plummer), who were m. Sept. 12, 1633. Mary d. in Plymouth, June 2, 1651, and her husband, John Barnes, d. 1671.
Abiel Shurtleff was born soon after the untimely death of his father and there was a considerable debate as to what his name should be. By some it was thought that he should be called after Boanerges (Children of Thunder), as mentioned in the New Testament; but the difficulty of converting the plural name into the singular number fortunately prevailed against the infliction of an appellation which was far from being euphonious. The scriptural name Abiel, which interpreted into English from the Hebrew, signifies "God, my father," was adopted as the most satisfactory, since it was sufficiently indicative of his posthumous birth. Mr. Shurtleff was a very noted "housewright," as was his father, and built "all the meeting houses in his time." He dwelt during the greater part of his life at Plymouth, living in the "Tim Goodwin" house and in the one next to it, which he also owned. Perhaps these were the two adjoining houses which were once one house owned by Mr. Shurtleff and in which all of his children were born. He was a useful man in his town, holding various offices, and was one of the selectmen there in 1715, '16, '17, '18, '19 and 1720. Late in life he removed with his family to that part of Plympton which is now called Carver and built him a house, the cellar of which may still be seen in the "Old Will" field, about 110 rods from the house now standing on his old estate, but is nearly filled in with earth and looks like a mere depression in the ground. Near it is an apple tree which Mr. Shurtleff set out. The trunk of this tree is hollow with one side entirely gone, and is so covered with a sucker growth that at a distance it looks like a young, unpruned tree. His estate here consisted of some six hundred acres and was located between "Barne's Bridge" over the Weweantitt River, and Pope's Point. On one occasion his brother William came to spend the evening with him, leaving his horse in charge of a nephew, who turned him loose in the field. About 9 or 10 o'clock this nephew, Benjamin, when he went to catch the horse, found a wildcat in a trap which he had set for that purpose. Upon moving to Plympton Abiel Shurtleff gave his house in Plymouth to his son James and the "Tim Goodwin" house to his youngest son, Abiel. He was a paralytic for many years previous to his death, and when about fifty years of age had a shock of the palsy and kept his bed much of the time. After six years' residence in the new home he lost his wife, and he survived her but five years. This house was afterwards cut in two and one part moved away by his grandson, Daniel Vaughan, and the remainder was taken down by his son, David Shurtleff. As already said under No. 2, Abiel Shurtleff and wife were buried in the Lakenham graveyard.
Children, b. in Plymouth, Mass.:
James, b. Nov. 16, 1696.
Elizabeth, b. Dec. 6, 1698.
Lydia, b. Feb. 28, 1700/1
David, b. June 1, 1703.
Hannah, b. July 31, 1705.
John, b. Nov. 8, 1707.
Benjamin, b. Apr. 11, 1711.
William, b. Sept. 8, 1713.
Joseph, b. Jan. 22, 1715/16.
Abiel, b. Oct. 23, 1717.
Upon the death of the father in 1732, Joseph and Abiel, the two youngest children, appointed their cousin Barnabas Shurtleff to be their guardian.
In 1701 Abiel Shurtleff bought of Abraham Jackson 30 acres of upland and four acres of meadow at the South Meadows bounded by Pollipody Cove; May 21, 1702, he bought of Caleb Loring 10 acres of upland which was granted at a town meeting held at Plymouth, Feb. 9, 1663, to William Harlow, by virtue of his having meadow at lower South Meadows; June 15, 1703, he bought of Eleazer Ring four acres of meadow at Pollipody Cove at the South Meadows given him by his father, Andrew Ring; June 30, 1703, he bought of George Morton 10 acres of upland granted by virtue of his having meadow at the upper South Meadows, and 21/2 acres of meadow adjoining the same; in 1704 he bought of Joseph and Daniel Pratt four acres of meadow at South Meadows; July 12, 1708, he bought of Jacob Tomson, Joseph Vaughan and Samuel Wood 40 acres in Plympton bounded by Beaver Dam Pond; Dec. 23, 1708, he bought of his brother William what has already been mentioned under No. 2; Feb. 12,1708/9, he bought of Thomas Howland a lot of land in Plymouth; Mar. 31, 1709, he bought of Benajah Pratt 10 acres of upland at the South Meadows; June 28, 1709, he bought of William Ring 10 acres of upland at the South Meadows; May 14, 1716, he bought of Benajah Pratt his share, one-tenth part, of grant made by town of Plymouth of swamp land at a place in Plympton called Swan Hole, and on the same day bought of Nathaniel Holmes 29 acres of land at the South Meadows; July 20, 1716, he bought of Samuel Savery 30 acres of land; Sept. 22, 1716, he bought of Daniel Pratt 58 1/2 acres of land.
Several lots of land which he owned in Plymouth are described by Davis in his "Ancient Landmarks" as follows: "The first two lots on Main street, west side, covered by a block of two stores (recently burned), were formerly owned by the Bradfords. The land extending from that point to the southerly line of the Davis Hall lot, and westerly to School Street, as far back as the records reach, belonged to William and Joseph Bradford, sons of Gov. Bradford, and was sold by them in 1697 to Nathaniel Howland. On Aug. 20, 1697, he sold it to Abiel Shurtleff, there being one acre of land. The lot on which the building stands owned by Mr. Bailey was sold to Ephraim Cobb. The next lot, on which the building stands owned by Mr. Hall (deceased) was conveyed, like the preceding one, to Mr. Cobb. While in the possession of Abiel Shurtleff he built a house on it in which he lived. Mr. Cobb and Nathaniel Torrey also occupied the house after him and John Bartlett occupied it many years as an inn, bearing the name of `The Bunch of Grapes.' The lot next to this, on which the house stands owned by Mr. Gooding and others, remained a vacant lot during its ownership by the Bradfords, Howland and Shurtleff, and after Abiel's death came into the possession of his son, James Shurtleff, who built the house which was the residence for many years of the late John Gooding. The next lot, on which the house stands owned by Miss Simmons, likewise came to James Shurtleff, who in 1749 sold it to his brother Joseph, who built the house now standing and occupied it as a residence. The next lot, on which the Old Colony National Bank building stands, came in the same way to Abiel Shurtleff and while in his possession Joshua Morse built, in 1717, the house which was torn down to make way for the bank building. The next lot to this, on which the Plymouth National Bank building stands, was sold by Mr. Shurtleff to Caleb Loring. The gore of land between Summer Street and Mill Lane was held by the town as common land until 1709, when it was granted to Abiel Shurtleff and James Barnaby on the condition that they and their assigns should keep Summer Street, then called Mill Street, in good repair and safe for travel. In 1716 they sold a part of the gore to Robert Bartlett. The remainder, 82'/z feet in length, was sold by them in 1710 to Richard Cooper and Francis Adams, they agreeing to fulfill the conditions of the grant by keeping the street in front of the land purchased by them in repair. The estate known in later years as Hayward's orchard, formerly included a part of the ministerial land and land granted by the town in 1711 and 1714 to John Wood and Abiel Shurtleff. He once owned land on Watson's Hill lying south of a line drawn through Jefferson Street. Between that line and the northerly line of the estate of De Forest Shaw, on that part of Pleasant Street once called Jordan Street, lies a tract of land extending westerly to the pond and measuring nine acres. The easterly part of this tract, bounding on Training Green on the east and reaching the westerly line of the house lots on Mayflower Street, is the allotment of six acres made to Stephen Hopkins in the first division of lands in 1623. The westerly part is the allotment of three acres made to Samuel Fuller, Jr., in the same division. In 1634 Mr. Fuller sold his land to Josiah Cook, and in 1638 Mr. Hopkins also sold his to Mr. Cook, who in 1645 sold these nine acres of land to Giles Rickard. On Mar. 22,1698/ 9, Giles Rickard of a later generation sold these nine acres to Abiel Shurtleff, and stated in his deed that they were given to him by his grandfather. In 1713 Mr. Shurtleff sold this land to William Barnes."
Before his death Mr. Shurtleff gave parts of his estate to his sons David, Benjamin and William (To David, vol. 26, page 230, Plymouth Registry.)
A transcript of the will is also in the "Descendants of William Shurtleff" book.